Installing our M&P 45 Extended Base Pad is a simple proposition with just a few simple tools.
Starting with an empty magazine, here's how you do it.
- Disassemble the magazine. Use a pin punch to depress the retainer plate at the center of the factory base pad, and slide the pad forward. Be careful not to let the spring and retainer plate fly free when the pad is moved.
- Clamp the magazine tube in padded rubber or leather vise jaws, front to back, with the top of the tube facing down. The tube is more rigid front to back; don't clamp side to side it'll crush easily.
- Use a wooden block/dowel or one of the Delrin drift punches available on our webstore, and a mallet to tap the rubber grip extension sleeve. Work your way slowly around the entire circumference of the rubber sleeve so that it moves evenly down the tube.
- As the sleeve moves along the tube, you should be able to get to a point where you can remove it by hand or just with the mallet while holding the tube in your hand. Be careful of the feed lips when doing this, so that you do not crush them against your work surface as you hammer freehand.
- Reinstall the spring, retainer plate, and the 10-8 extended pad, and you are ready to rock!